This morning I told someone my brain was like a flock of birds, and that is the absolute truth. Sort of a murmuration at times, little starling thoughts all flying together in formation, working together and mostly heading in the same direction. Other times it’s just chaos, a thousand different species all pecking at each other and going off in different directions.
I suppose this is to be expected a month before one’s first book release.
Business. Promotion. Publishing. Formatting. Waiting on reader responses. Organizing.
Exhiliration. Self-doubt. Questions. Distractions. Perfectionism.
For the record, I’m not complaining. I chose this path, and though I think it’s perfectly valid to complain about the things we’ve chosen (hello, parenting!), I’m really not. As crazy and sometimes overwhelming as this all is, I wouldn’t have it any other way. For the first time, I’m attempting something big. Something that’s so challenging that I might fall flat on my face. Or maybe I’ll soar like this:
…or more likely, I’ll survive the business bits, get this book out, and move on to the next one. Because though I’ve put myself in the role of publisher, that’s just a thing that I’m doing. It’s not what I am. I’m a writer. I’m going to write.
I guess it’s time to look back at my goals from the start of this round to see what’s done and what’s not.
- Edit Bound DONE
- Write back-cover copy STILL WORKING ON IT. This is is harder than writing the book, I swear.
- set up Facebook author page, change personal account name for consistency DONE and NOT DONE. If you’d like to give my page a like, it’s here.
- hire proof-reader FRIENDS/READERS WORKING ON IT (God love them)
- find reviewers who might be interested in YA Fantasy (again, if you know anyone, or are someone and want an ARC, see below) HAVE PEOPLE SIGNED UP FOR ARCS. STILL A FEW SPOTS AVAILABLE FOR E-BOOK ONLY.
- put together front-matter and back-matter for the book, metadata, keywords, etc WORKING ON IT. Dedication, acknowledgements, legal notice, etc. done. Need to research keywords, etc.
- send out newsletter DONE, and revealed a piece of the cover. Next one goes out in June, with release date, cover, sale information, etc.
- Formatting (kill me now) HIRED SOMEONE. I have enough going on without this, and the guy I got does gorgeous work.
- cover reveal here and on other blogs SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 2
- apply for ISBNs DONE. Easy peasy. I’m an official publisher!
- submit to CreateSpace, order proof copy, correct all the things Waiting on proofreads and formatting
- Prepare for awesome-yet-smallish Facebook release party TBA (looking at June 26)
- Add to Goodreads, set up give-away Not yet– need finished blurb first. Will add on cover reveal day.
- revisions on book 2 (we’ll call this a stretch goal) HAHAHAHA! Just starting today
Wow. So really, we’re looking good as far as goals go. Coming up: revising book 2 for JuNoWriMo, which I hope will take my mind off of everything else. The story is there, but I need to add to it. There’s a love story that needs more attention, and I think the rest could do with some punching up.
So there we go.
I’m getting excited.